Monday, January 5, 2015

Crossing to Safety

I read this book via audible as it was recommended by the End of Your Life Book Club.  It is a book about marriage and friendship.  I was never tempted to quit reading it.  However, when I finished the book, I was not sure that I had really liked it either.  Certainly we do not expect life to always be the exciting journey that we dream of when we are young.  However, it seems to me that the disappointments in this book were very hard.  Yet the characters did not seem unhappy.  It made me feel very lucky to have lived a life in which I was able to stay young until 60 years old.  I don't guess that anyone should wish for more than that.  I do believe that Wallace Stegner believes that life is good.

Even though I found myself thinking the above as I finished the book, the next morning I am finding myself rethinking much of what I read.  I particularly liked at the end when Larry reminds himself that Sally's handicap has actually enriched his and her life.  His thoughts fit in with my own view of life that everything is a two sided coin.  We just need to figure out the good that we receive from our "bad" luck.  There are always compensations.

No comments:

Post a Comment