Sunday, June 24, 2018

Sarah


I started Sarah last night and I am hooked!  It starts with a ten year old Sarah who is old and wise for her age.  Abram tells her he will be back for her in ten years.  He plans to marry her.  In the mean time Abram's nephew is marrying Sarah's older sister.

I had to google Sarah and her life last night.  It is said that she was beautiful even into her 90s.

Finished the book last night.  I found it to be a really easy way to familiarize myself with the characters of the old Testament.  WOW!  No wonder I was never told much about the old Testament in Sunday School as a child....this is pretty adult content!  The Bible is NOT for the faint of heart!  I did like the book and I will probably read another of the series of the books by Merek Halter.

The author speaks at the end of the audio book.  That is a very nice plus as it is often hard to know in historical fiction what is most likely true and what the author has added or not added.

The book covers the years during the draught in Canaan during which Abraham and Sarah go into Egypt.  The fact that Abraham tells the lie that Sarah is his sister in order to protect his own life....as the Pharaoh might have killed Abraham in order to marry Sarah.  The birth of Ismael to Hagar (Sarah's handmaiden).  The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah (Lot escapes with two of his daughters, but his wife does not because of her own unworthiness).  The birth of Isaac to a very old Sarah and Abraham.  And the sending away of Ishmael and Hagar for the sake of both sons.  The author ends the book with both Sarah and Abraham still alive.  However it is a very unhappy Abraham who is leaving to make a sacrifice at Moriah.  He and Isaac are preparing to leave and it is VERY evident that Abraham is not happy.  And the book ends....so, of course, I had to google what is next:

Some time later God tested Abraham. He said to him, "Abraham!"
"Here I am," he replied.
Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about."

No comments:

Post a Comment