Tuesday, July 21, 2026

The Calamity Club


 Erin Haughey has been playing tennis with my Friday group when we need an extra.  I like Erin a lot and she is reading The Calamity club and suggests that I might like it too.  I finally finished The Correspondent after  Mary fast forwarded me through the segment in which the son drowns.....I just could not read it.  So I am starting this book tonight.  I am reading via audible.

Mary and I had some discussion while sitting on my porch this summer about the fact that in her book club some of the women read actual books.....Mary mainly reads on Kindle on her phone.....and others do what I do and listen.  And that the different methods do influence whether the reader enjoys the book or not.  And after reading a couple of hours I decided to put this book away.  Perhaps it was because I became tired of the southern accent?  Going on and on.....

But the odd coincidence is that there was an article that came across my computer screen from the Morning from the New York Times.  The article is written by Milissa Kirsch.  It is about Good Reads Did Not Finish designation (DNF).

Just a couple of quotes from the article:

"I feel strongly that life’s too short to spend time on books one doesn’t like. But sometimes I wonder if the problem isn’t with the books but with me: impatient, seduced by novelty, impossible to satisfy."

"And yet Alice finishes more books than anyone I know. I never hear about the ones she abandons, because she does it quickly and without fanfare, without self-excoriation. ......Not finishing a book isn’t the same as never finishing a book. There’s no shame in putting aside a book that you don’t like, but finding a book that you do like takes commitment. "

No comments:

Post a Comment