So What book is next?
This is the one that grabbed me next.....
And, yes, I really like it. I think this is one book that is likely better being listened to as the narrator does Theo's voice so well....I honestly believe he captures Theo's personality through his voice. In July while Mary was home we talked a lot on the porch. One of the things we talked about was the fact that her book group has an assortment of readers....some read by real print book....some read by kindle on their phone or tablet.....some do as I do and tend to listen to the fiction they read. And Mary says they have found that some books are liked more by one group than another depending on the method with which they read.
But this morning I could not help but add to my blog the fact of how much at my age everything that I do seems to bring my life into full circle....perhaps it is my age that causes me to feel that way. But I do like in this book that Theo keeps referring to his age which is relatively close to my own. We are not young any more. I wish you were sitting beside me so I could tell you all of my thoughts on this....but I'll do the best I can. Start with the age thing. Jason and I were playing golf the other night. He absolutely hates the fact that our golf carts lock up when one goes where one should not go. And it has been much worse this year than usual as our Bermuda grass has struggled and thus the golf "people" have chosen to keep us out of the fairways that are the worst and the parts of the good fairways that are worse than the good parts. I on the other hand have not minded so much and have used a few illegal work arounds that I discover while I watch golfers from my porch. Jason said: "Mom, you should ask them for a cart that can go everywhere....." And my thought was why would I do that....and Jason pointed out that I was almost 80. And I was adamant that I would not ask for favors because of my age! Aghast that he would think I would. So funny! I live in a house with stairs because I think it was one of the reasons my parents were so well....they went up and down the stairs every day. OK....that is not why I started working on this post....enough
Last night I read the part of the story where Theo is celebrating a friend's birthday with an excellent bottle of Port as well as a gourmet dinner that a local restaurant has delivered to Theo's apartment for the event. Theo explains the port comes from the Douro River in Portugal and tells the story of how he might have been one of the young men who worked at the vineyard squeezing juice from the grapes .....for this very bottle.....fascinating....and so weird that I am contemplating doing a knitting cruise on the Douro River this fall.....particularly since I almost never knit....although I look at my yarn a lot quite wistfully....just too busy with my DAR and Dames commitments to knit.....as I was explaining my life seems to continually circle to crazy connections.....
No comments:
Post a Comment